Sunday, January 30, 2011

Memory Lane Mondays!









Today I wanted to join our friend Donna at Brynwood Needleworks on her Memory Lane Mondays. This is her first Monday to do this and I am excited to be a part of it. She is asking for us to do a post about a memory of ours and share it on the last Monday of each month.  So click on the link to Donna's after of course you have read my story and join the fun.







This memory is not one I like to think about but it happened one summer morning with a friend of mine when we were walking to the neighborhood store to buy a gallon of milk for my mother. I think this happened the summer I was going into the fourth grade.



In those days many years ago no one thought of anything ever happening like this but they were wrong to think that way.





One look into Faye’s eyes and I knew to run.  I heard the glass milk bottle break about the same instant I had grabbed hold of Faye's hand pulling her towards an open field and away from the man in the car.



The grass was high but we both ran harder than either one of us had ever run in our life.  It was as if at that moment something took over our small bodies and helped us to run as if it meant life or death.



The field  we were running  in connected to the next street over where there were a few houses. We never slowed down until we were on the steps of the front porch. Together we both rang the door bell anxiously waiting for someone to save us. No one was answering the door and I turned to look down the road and saw the man's car coming in our direction. I pulled  Faye down on the porch behind the brick flower bed. There were small bushes planted in it that helped to hide us from the rode.

It was then that poor Faye started sobbing. I was so afraid he would hear her that I  fastened my hand over her mouth so tight I wasn’t sure that I was not going to be the one to kill her if she did not shut up.



Her huge brown eyes two inches from mine were screaming for help. I knew that she was seeing the same in my eyes and I too wanted so desperately to cry myself.



What seemed like hours but was only minutes I peeped over the bushes to see if I could see the car. Grateful the road was empty I laid back down when I did I felt my dress was wet.. I looked around thinking I had laid in water instead I discovered Faye had wet her panties. She was shaking like it was winter instead of hot July. Feeling sorry for her I whispered I thought he was gone but we should stay there for a few minutes.



Laying there I replayed the last few minutes in my mind. How fast the car pulled along side of us and the strange man telling us it was too hot for us to be walking to get inside of his car. Me dropping the milk jug hearing it break on the road as I grabbed Faye’s hand to run. Realizing then at that second that I had broke my mothers milk jug I said, “Oh my God  my mother is going to kill me!”



Faye whispered , "Yeah she will kill you if she hears you talking like that."



“Faye, I broke the stupid milk bottle! I might as well have got in that car because no telling what she will do to me when she finds out."



Faye looked at me like I was from another planet and said, “We are lying here hiding from a man who might hurt us and you are worried about a dumb milk bottle! Your mother has to understand it could not be helped. You were scared and ran to get away. It was an accident!”



I then squeezed Faye’s arm and said, “Listen we can never ever tell anyone about what happened to us today. You have to promise me this is our secret.”



“We can not keep this from our parents!” she pleaded.



“Look if we tell them a stranger tried to get us in his car that will be the end of us going anywhere by ourselves. No more trips to the beach, school or the store without some one with us. Shoot they may even not let us cross the street anymore to each others houses. Do you want that to happen?” I argued.



She knew I was right so we formed the first of many secret packs with each other. We sealed the pack with a hug and then we both peeped over the flower bed. Seeing no one in site she grabbed my hand and we ran as fast as our legs could run down the road back towards our houses.



Finally leaving Faye safe on her back porch clinging to their screen door I slowly walked to my house across the street. My legs gave out just about the time I reached for our front door. I knew that I was about to face something bad but still like my friend I was glad to be home.



Hope you have a great week!

Love to all

Maggie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts