Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nora Ephron



Do you know Nora Ephron? She had a one woman show at the famous
 Paramount Theatre in Austin, Texas on February 10, 2011 Before the Show; Paramount Theater, Austin Texas Gretchen ask me to attend the show with her.




Nora Ephron is an established author so Gretchen and I both wanting to be near and around anyone creative we eagerly looked forward to her show. Honestly when Gretchen ask me if I wanted to see Nora Ephron speak I had to rack my brain on who she was and what she has written. Then Gretchen mentioned every one's favorite Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally and then she had my attention.


The day of the show I googled Ms Ephron name to see what I could find out about her. Of course I was thrilled and impressed that she was a respected screenwriter and had been nominated three times for an academy award.


But.....................ten minutes into her show I was entertaining myself by looking at the magnificent theatre and how after a 100 years it was still beautiful. She disappointed me because everything she talked about was exactly what I had read when I googled her. You know how you get your expectations up and then their deflated just as quickly.


I was glad afterwards when Gretchen and I talked that she too was disappointed because I thought it was just me. We were expecting to hear more about her writing and maybe take notes but it was basically a woman standing there telling about her life and what she had accomplished all that I had read on the Internet.


One thing I found odd is she mentioned her two ex husbands by name and never once mentioned the man she was married to now. You know me I love to laugh and she did manage to get a few laughs from others but Gretchen and I barely smiled.


I think a woman of her talent and experience should consider what people have to pay to see her and she should make sure they get at least a portion of that back in entertainment.  Sorry Nora you are a very gifted lady but I think something was missing in your show. Not to say if any of you get the chance to see her don't let me persuade you not too because everyone is entertained differently. I think we were looking for more of the writing info than how many times she had married.


Sadly to say the woman sitting in front of us with her husband (I am assuming it was her husband) she kept us entertained to the point where Ms Pearl almost ask her to act her age and shut up. She was constantly hugging on her man, talking to him and when she was not doing that she would pick up her huge purse and go through it as if she were at home cleaning it out. On several occasion's she showed the man a bottle about the size of a baby food jar and I could not for the life of me see what was in it. At least in that hour of the show she showed him that bottle three times. What could have been in that bottle?


After the show Gretchen and I walked next door to a lovely little restaurant and that is where I enjoyed myself. We never not have a good time when we are together. She is such a beautiful young lady inside and out and also has starred in movies and is now doing screen plays while hiding out here at the ranch. One of these days when she comes out of hiding I can do a post just about her.


We were downtown Austin and after we had dinner we walked past the theatre again and then the building next to it is where Gretchen goes to acting classes. The building inside was beautiful just like the theatre. I have to tell you what happened when we were standing there looking in the big open doors and windows. Her acting teacher came out of a door upstairs and Gretchen flew to the end of the building where she could not be seen and was screaming for me to come on that her teacher was coming. Well you know me I knew that Gretchen has a school girl crush on him and I had to get a peep at what the man looked like so I am trying to get her to be quiet so I can stand there for a minute and see him.


He comes out on the upstairs balcony and he is looking down at me and I am doing a dance. Yes I did not realize at the time I was doing some kind of vaudeville dance for him but what was happening is Gretchen is freaking out like a funny teenager and I am moving back and forth towards her and then back to the position to where I can see him and it had to be really comical. Of course we did not laugh about it until the ride home. What Gretchen did not realize and could not see was he was just standing on the balcony looking down at this little ole lady doing a dance in front of his door and he is grinning from ear to ear. lol


Finally I gave into Gretchen's screams and went with her to the car. Now every time I see Gretchen she does the dance for me. hahahaha...She of course now realizes that she should of stood there with me and introduced him to me but it is cute to see a someone with a crush who can't think and just runs away.  I can just barely remember feeling like that but it was fun too.


Just last night Gretchen came over and we sat on the front porch and shared some wine and talked about her screen plays that she so desperately needs one done by March 10th...when she was leaving to go home I got my little dance from her.


Hope all of you are having a wonderful weekend! Our weather here is warming up but the wind is blowing like crazy. Can not complain at all because my toes are finally thawing out.


Almost forgot Gretchen ask me if she could get a goat to keep in her yard. She said she would put a collar on it and walk it around the property. How could I say no to the possibility of seeing that and sharing it with you!


Love to all
Maggie










0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts